There is some development in the issue. It was "upgraded" from
"Invalid" to "Won't Fix".
I provided a replacement text as alternative to error message dialog,
but the change is hard to implement for package maintainer, so I am
afraid that without the help from upstream the UX regression in Ubuntu
For me -50Mb in unpacked size don't worth the hassle with missing
tutorials. At least English tutorial should always be present. If I
didn't discover tutorial menu back in the days, I wouldn't be here
now. This is why I am going this far to fix it. If GiMP and Blender
had such "edit me" tutorials in their menus, there would gather much
more users. If there is a poll to gather community feedback, then
questions about Inkscape tutorial could be there (TypeForm?). Namely:
1. Do you remember going through tutorial in the Help menu when you
first discovered Inkscape? Yes/No
2. How helpful it was to go through tutorial for the first steps?
3. Were tutorials a deciding factor for you to choose Inkscape?
1. Yes, they helped me to love Inkscape a lot
2. No, I was going to learn Inkscape anyway
4. Do you think that having tutorials installed by default is useful,
given if that increases Inscape installation size?
1. Tutorials installed by default are useful regardless of
2. If they are below 100Mb it is fine
3. Probably useful for beginners, but not for me
4. Keeping packages small is a good thing, I can install them
myself if I want
On the second thought maybe it is worth to provide an option to open
tutorials from the web, so if no local files are present, the
Tutorials menu gains an local item with instruction how to install
tutorials, and all other items gain a web icon and would result in
fetching the tutorials from the web. That would be the right solution
for this UX problem.
On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 10:46 PM Maren Hachmann <maren@...3165...> wrote:
I think we should probably provide a useful error message. It looks like
the splitting-out was done for a good reason.
Am 05.02.19 um 19:07 schrieb anatoly techtonik:
> I'd like to know what do you think about this issue
Inkscape-devel mailing list