On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 01:17:12AM +0100, Alex Valavanis wrote:
@Bryce - I still think git submodules are a good idea; there's nothing
intrinsically difficult from a developer's perspective after initial
config, and this fix in LP should allow us to run PPA builds.
Anything we can do to minimise unnecessary forks of upstream library
code sounds like a good thing to me! For safety, we can just add
tests to the CMake scripts to allow a feature-incomplete build if the
submodules have failed to pull for whatever reason.
I'm sure submodules can work fine, but the procedures for casual
builders are not well documented. A couple of years ago, maybe more,
my own build scripts started doing the wrong thing while building one
of the main gnu packages (during fresh builds of linuxfromscratch).
I eventually found, by trial and error, that there was a namespace
clash betwween an environment variable I was using, and something
which had been added to that package. But before that I had tried
git bisect between the current release and the previous release to
try to find which commit broke it for me. Unfortunately it pulled in
gnulib and I never really managed to get a version of that which was
appropriate to the package's version I was trying to build - leading
to compilation failures.
That problem was specific to my scripts, but I'm sure that from time
to time every package which pulls in external git trees will offer
similar fun and games.
So, if inkscape is going to use submodules, I hope the process for
anybody who needs to bisect (to find where a problem was introduced)
will be documented.
I live in a city. I know sparrows from starlings. After that
everything is a duck as far as I'm concerned. -- Monstrous Regiment