On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 16:38 +0200, Tavmjong Bah wrote:
I'll let the current version bake in for awhile to see what
comments people have.
I've just reviewed the ui design for the symbols dialog. See this link
for reference screenshot: http://imagebin.org/251687
1. Symbol names shouldn't have .svg in them. Use the document's meta
data name or the filtered filename to make it more human. i.e.
inkscape-volcano_set1.svg should become "Volcano Set 1"
2. The clone functionality has unlinking already, do we need to unlink
3. These options need to go into the tool preferences. If we were to
design all dialogs with all their options built in, the ui would be
poor. If it's possible to store a recommended option in the file, then
perhaps each symbol set could specify the display options. But otherwise
the options are important but not in the right place.
4. The menus for putting things into the symbols set needs to go. The
menu is obscure and out of context for the operation. Add a +/- button
to the symbols dialog itself.
5. It should be possible to import a symbols set from a file and from
the open clipart library. We just need to handle the file and save it in
the right place. It'd be really great to have external symbol sets
available to all users from the user interface. (is this something we
should design with fonts and other external media in mind?)
Best Regards, Martin Owens