Okay, I talked with Bob and I now understand what's going on. We're not
doing a static binary (where ldd returns nothing), we're linking various
libraries statically. The goal is to make certain weird ones static,
and leave the more common stuff.
Basic steps: compile libraries statically, link inkscape against those.
I wrote up a quick Wiki how-to:
and then modified the inkscape.spec file to allow static library
linking. Unfortunately, I've got Debian, so my built RPMs are a little
I didn't want to "publish" my goofy RPM on Sourceforge, but Bulia wanted
to see it, so here it is:
(don't ask why it's named all weird... must be RPM magic.)
Using "alien" anyone can easily convert this to a tarball, too.
Kees Cook @outflux.net