This is related to the discussion over the past couple days.
I have decided that I will fulfill my commitments surrounding
releasing 0.49.0 and GSoC 2012. However, I will most likely be less
active on the mailing list, and less involved in general until those
commitments have been fulfilled. I will reassess how I feel about
continued involvement with the project at the time that those
commitments have been fulfilled. For the time being I will remain on
the board, but will likely step down later this year in favor of "new"
blood getting in there.
Just a quick reminder that Ubuntu 12.04 LTS hits its feature freeze
deadline on Thursday 16 Feb. It will be pretty difficult to update
the Inkscape package after that deadline, so it would be great if we
can push ahead with the 0.48.3 source tarball in the next day or two.
I can quickly submit an updated package for review as soon as this is
There we go, volunteer #1. :) Thanks for volunteering so fast!
It's good for the testers and compilers of Inkscape on OS X to
actually be using Inkscape on OS X, since it means they actually
have very good incentives to keep an eye on it.
Any other takers?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:54:58 +0100
From: Drechsel Wolf <edv-e@...2249...>
Subject: [Inkscape-devel] Future development
To: Inkscape List <inkscape-devel(a)lists.sourceforge.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed; delsp=yes
> With any luck there may already be Mac Inkscape-users out there
> compiling and fixing Inkscape on OS X for themselves...
I've been doing my professional work in my home-made inkscape aqua for
more than a year now. Allthough it has some issues, I like it a lot
over the X11 variant.
I cant belive that finishing Gellule's (aka Julien's) work documented
in his blueprints will be so much effort, and I strongly belive that
there will be many Mac people interested in a useable inkscape aqua.
Sorry - still I dont know about coding - but still I'm very much
willing to do testing and compiling.
Since several issues are gtk-related, "Coordinating with the OS X
GTK+ team" could be part of the job description.
With any luck there may already be Mac Inkscape-users out there
compiling and fixing Inkscape on OS X for themselves...
> More blending/compositing options will be available in SVG2.
Ah, I was already aware of that. I was just saying. x) I suppose
it won't be implemented anytime soon, but that's fine.
I got in the rough fix for enabling LCMS2.
I confirmed that things just aren't working right on OS X, but that on Ubuntu 11.10 they operate well.
I should be able to get a backport to 0.48.3 done tomorrow, but if anyone else wants to get it in sooner, feel free.
On the OSX debate... a few years ago I would not have cared about OSX
native versions at all, but it's true that Apple products have been getting
more popularin recent years.
But, can't there be a dedicated OS X team as opposed to forcing the core
team to dedicate itself to it? Apple products aren't exactly cheap, and
how many systems does one have to force all developers to use?
Maybe Inkscape could send an announcement on the website asking for
an OS X team, something in the lines of "As some of you know, Inkscape
currently lacks a native OS X build. However, as Apple products have
become more popular, more people are also asking for a native version of
Inkscape. However, not all the developers use OS X, so if you are a
developer familiar with OS X, we welcome you to join the Inkscape team
to help produce native OS X builds."
I'm willing to bet that if people are actually aware that Inkscape is looking
for sure a team, you'll get a few responses offering to help.
I admit, I already use Windows and Linux, and I'm not personally interested
in OS X. I'm much more interested in features such as Pablo Trabajos'
transformation anchors blueprint, layer masks (especially since unlike
raster programs, you can't just lock visible pixels), and maybe a few more
layer composite modes like overlay. Powerstroke of course, but that's happily
in the works. :)
(on the other hand... how many people want to use Inkscape on touchscreen
devices? I'm not familiar with this area, so forgive me if there are actually
a lot of them)
So I think we need to discuss a few things related to development.
1) Regarding the irc dev meeting it appears that two weeks from today
on 02/25 at 0800 UTC is the time that worked the best for the most
people. Everyone, please put that on your calendar.
2) We're close to cutting 0.48.3, given the state of 0.49, we will
also pursue 0.48.4.
3) We need to think seriously about GTK3 at some point. We may want to
create a GTK3 branch sooner rather than later to begin that work. It
would be good to get other people's thoughts on this. Do we want to
take on A) 3 active development branches and B) 2 active refactoring
branches. I will note that I don't believe there is a full set of GTK3
libs available for win32 yet and have no idea about the status on OSX.
P.S. Tavmjong, I cc-ed you explicitly because you didn't put the time
we ended up with as available. Any chance it can be made to work?
Any thoughts about when we're going to release Inkscape 0.48.3?
Coming at this from an Ubuntu maintenance perspective, the next LTS
release (12.04 - "Precise Pangolin") will hit feature freeze on Feb
16, so it would be great to update the binary-package in the
Ubuntu-main repository before that date. Large numbers of Ubuntu
desktop users could potentially end up sticking with it for a couple
of years, so I think it makes sense to squash as many bugs as
Does anyone else agree with releasing 0.48.3 in the very near future?
Is there any reason to hold back?
If we're going to do this, we'd need to release a source tarball by ~9
Feb. We've already committed a fair number of bug fixes in 0.48.3,
so it would probably already be useful to users in its current form.
However, perhaps a two-week bug-squashing session would be nice before
we go ahead.
Given that we are now parted from modevia, how about unloading builds
to graphicall which mostly hosts Blender builds? It already has an
Inkscape section that looks rather lonely.