[Referendum] Hackfest in Portland, OR
by Bryce Harrington
Your vote is needed on the planned Inkscape Hackfest in Portland, Oregon.
1. Sponsor a hackfest in Portland, Oregon.
(Refer to attached proposal document for details).
[ ] a. Yes, sponsor hackfest in Portland, Oregon as proposed.
[ ] b. Approve holding a hackfest, but recommend making the
[ ] c. Do not approve holding a hackfest in Portland
2. Which date should we target to reserve? Note the availability may
change, requiring us to select a different date.
[ ] a. Oct 21 - Oct 26, 2016
[ ] b. Nov 26 - Dec 1, 2016
[ ] c. Any of the above
[ ] d. Spring, 2017
[ ] e. Other:
[ ] f. No preference
3. Reimburse using a ranked system similar to 2015. Note this is
somewhat less than was allocated for the Leeds hackfest, but
expenses are expected to be lower.
[ ] a. Use ranked reimbursement. Long term, high commit developers
are sponsored up to a higher maximum than new developers.
[ ] b. Use open ended. We'll fully cover all valid expenses
incurred by the sponsorees.
[ ] c. Other:
[ ] d. Do not reimburse for Portland hackfest expenses
4. The Inkscape Board sponsors a dinner event, to be funded from the
Inkscape general fund (instead of the hackfest fund), for Hackfest
attendees and guests.
[ ] a. Yes. Allocate $600 from Inkscape's general fund for a dinner.
[ ] b. Yes, but handle funding the dinner in a different way:
[ ] c. No, do not fund a sponsored dinner for the hackfest.
1. 2. 3. 4.
Jon A. Cruz
Past hackfests have provided excellent opportunities for Inkscape
developers to meet in person, discuss the project and coordinate work on
bug-fixing, feature planning, and other efforts. In the past we've also
sought to align the location and time of the event with conferences or
groups in the area to permit external collaborations as well. Our
experience so far seems to show that we're getting far more tangible
benefit out of the internal interactions than the external ones.
Thus, this event will focus more sharply on the hackfest itself, giving
us much greater flexibility for time and location.
In the past events, we flexibly let each attendee arrange their own
accommodation within an allowed stipend, so as to enable them to find
options that best minimize costs. However, our experience has shown this
to be unpredictable with sometimes sub-par stays and various levels of
hassles making the arrangements and securing reimbursement.
Bryce Harrington has volunteered as event coordinator for the hackfest
Thanks everyone for the feedback on the proposal, I've decided to press
on with getting the vote settled for the budgeted amounts so we can get
a reservation in place before someone else books our dates.
There seems to not be a consensus on the preferred dates. I'm hoping
the vote will help clear that up, or at least give us a majority
decision we can use to start getting things nailed down.
A potential hitch for the dates is that Terri noticed the schedule on
the rental company's website differs substantially from what they show
on AirBnB. She's attempting to contact them for clarification (and to
investigate if there's any chance we could get both units this year).
Based on this we may need to adjust our dates.
On Mon, Sep 05, 2016 at 09:58:30PM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Attached is the proposal for a hackfest in Portland. Please review and let
> me know of any changes that should be made, or questions that need
> answered. In a couple days (depending on feedback) I'll post for a
> vote, and then make the appropriate reservation.
> As mentioned at the meeting, if we want a hackfest in Oct/Nov there is
> availability for one unit or the other. It doesn't look like we could
> get both units until 2017, although if the proposal looks otherwise ok
> and if we definitely do want both units, we will contact the owners to
> see if there's any potential flexibility. If you have a strong opinion
> on dates please let me know.
> Inkscape-board mailing list
6 years, 6 months
Proposal for Hackfest in Portland, OR
by Bryce Harrington
Attached is the proposal for a hackfest in Portland. Please review and let
me know of any changes that should be made, or questions that need
answered. In a couple days (depending on feedback) I'll post for a
vote, and then make the appropriate reservation.
As mentioned at the meeting, if we want a hackfest in Oct/Nov there is
availability for one unit or the other. It doesn't look like we could
get both units until 2017, although if the proposal looks otherwise ok
and if we definitely do want both units, we will contact the owners to
see if there's any potential flexibility. If you have a strong opinion
on dates please let me know.
6 years, 6 months