I've been terribly neglectful in making this happen, and for that I
The next Outreachy round is opening up Feb 18. I think our status right
now is that the Inkscape Board voted on:
"Inkscape will begin earmarking of donations for the Outreachy internship
program, with the goal of participating in one or more Outreachy slots."
back in Sept as required by the sfconservancy to start fundraising for
the slot. What still needs to be done I think is per ticket #1593 having
bkuhn set up a donate button for funds earmarked for Outreachy.
What I propose to do, since we have missed another round thanks to me,
is to go ahead and have the Outreachy-specific donate button set up, and
to start fundraising with an eye towards the summer round of outreachy.
Does that sound ok?
And a million apologies again for lagging on this,
Shall Inkscape participate in the Outreachy internship program, and
allow the earmarking of donations for funding one or more Outreachy
- [ ] a. Yes, participate in Outreachy and allow collection of
donations to fund one or more internship slots.
- [ ] b. No, do not participate in Outreachy at this time.
- [ ] c. Other ___________________
| Board Member | 1. |
| -------------------- |:--:|
| Bryce Harrington | a. |
| Josh Andler | a. |
| Tavmjong Bah | a. |
| Ted Gould | |
| Martin Owens | a. |
| Marc Jeanmougin | a. |
| Chris Rogers | a. |
Inkscape will begin earmarking of donations for the Outreachy internship
program, with the goal of participating in one or more Outreachy slots.
Note that at this time it is assumed the cost of the Outreachy
participation will be covered entirely by the earmarked donations.
At the Boston hackfest Máirín Duffy suggested Inkscape participate in
the Outreachy internship program, and offered to help with organizing
and fundraising for it. We discussed it in detail at the board
meetings, but I don't think we formally voted on it. Conservancy
requires a formal vote for moving forward with collection of donations
One way Outreachy appears to differ from the GSoC program is that
funding must be arranged by the mentoring organization. Máirín believes
that adequate external funding can be secured for Inkscape, to cover at
least one student. With the Inkscape Committee's approval, Conservancy
will create a Donate button to receive and earmark funds to be used for
the Outreachy slot.
At this time it is assumed the cost of the Outreachy participation will
be covered entirely by the earmarked donations. If it becomes
desireable in the future for Inkscape to cover portions of the
internship cost, a separate vote will be done.
On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 08:52:08PM +0000, Bradley M. Kuhn via RT wrote:
> Oh, I forgot to add in my last email, Máirín asked for us to set up an "account". To be clear, we are *not* setting up an "account" for this -- that's a term of art in accounting and it defintiely is not how we handle the situation when an existing Conservancy member project wants to fund an Outreachy internship.
> What we can set up is a donate button, which is what I've changed this ticket into an action item for.
> Since both Inkscape and Outreachy are Conservancy member projects, I believe it's ok to say publicly that the funds are meant for that, but please don't do that until I'm in possession of a a vote in the approvals queue where Inkscape Committee has voted to fund an Outreachy slot. Bryce, please take that as an action item and email to approvals creating a separate ticket.
> But, to be clear, the money will be officially earmarked for Inkscape, in their regular "Income:Donations" account, and the thing that will bind it to go to the Outreachy slot will be the vote by the Inkscape PLC to spend money on a slot.
> If you have further questions about what's appropriate to say during fundraising campaign,or other related issues to this, probably best to discuss in detail with Karen outside of any specific RT ticket.
Voting is needed on funding for sponsorship of attendees at the Saarbrücken
Hackfest planned for May 2019.
1. Travel Sponsorship to Saarbrücken, Germany.
- [ ] a. Reimburse pre-approved attendees (TBD) for up to a flat
amount of $2000 per person.
- [ ] b. Reimburse using the ranked system used for the Boston hackfest.
- [ ] c. Reimburse with open ended limits to extent permitted by
Software Conservancy policy.
- [ ] d. Other: _______
- [ ] e. No, do not fund.
2. Board-sponsored Dinner. The Inkscape Board will fund a dinner out
for Hackfest attendees and their guests. An estimated 10 people
averaging 30 € each gives a budget of 300 €.
- [ ] a. Yes, for estimated cost of up to 300 €.
- [ ] b. Recommend a change: ___________
- [ ] c. No, do not fund.
3. Refreshments. The event host will ensure there are snacks and
beverages, and procure other incidentals as needed for attendees.
An estimate of 10 attendees * 2 days * 5 € gives a budget of 100 €.
- [ ] a. Authorize reimbursement of up to 100 € to the event host for
snacks, beverages, and other incidentals relating to the
- [ ] b. Authorize a different amount: _______
- [ ] c. Do not authorize reimbursement for refreshments
| Board Member | 1. | 2. | 3. |
| -------------------- |:--:|:--:|:--:|
| Bryce Harrington | | | |
| Josh Andler | | | |
| Tavmjong Bah | | | |
| Ted Gould | | | |
| Martin Owens | | | |
| Marc Jeanmougin | | | |
| Chris Rogers | | | |
The Libre Graphics Meeting will be held in Germany in May. We wish to
also hold a 2-day hackfest preceeding it. Travel grants will be
provided to attendees of these events.
The exact list of approved attendees will be determined separately. We
anticipate attendance in the 5-15 person range, similar to past events.
A listing of prospective invitees is available at:
Further details about the hackfest are available from
A majority vote of the current board members is required for the
What should we do with the webcams awarded to the Inkscape project by
The Univention Summit?
- [ ] a. Assign to the Vectors team to determine disposition.
- [ ] b. Use as prizes in bug migration game.
- [ ] c. Retain as project property.
- [ ] d. Other: _____
| Board Member | 1. |
| -------------------- |:--:|
| Bryce Harrington | |
| Josh Andler | |
| Tavmjong Bah | |
| Ted Gould | |
| Martin Owens | |
| Marc Jeanmougin | |
| Chris Rogers | |
Our monthly board meeting is scheduled for Friday, Mar 1st,
at 10am Pacific in #inkscape-devel. All members are welcome.
We'll be going over recent activities with infrastructure transitions
and sponsors, discuss expansion of staff for Board duties, and
final prep-work for the upcoming hackfest in Pasadena.
** Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/inkscapeofficial/
** mailman3 status
** Wiki migration
** Weblate service deployment
** Using gitlab issues for tracking
** Renewal of old sponsors
** 2 new bronze, 1 gold, 1 tbd
** SFC bookkeeping is still slow
** Sponsor acceptance policy
** Sponsor soliciting / outreach
* Should we set up some new teams under delegation from the board?
** Funding - Fundraisers, merchandising, sponsorship management, etc.
** Accounting - Travel & other reimbursements
** Legal - Trademarks, etc.
* Hackfest [http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/17x/ SCALE]
** Review agenda
*** Ideas to present to Bradley?
** Calls for donations
* Hackfest [http://libregraphicsmeeting.org/2019/ LGM 2019]
** May 30th-June 3rd (Saarbrucken, Germany)
** Next steps for organizing it
** Mentors needed
** Guiding prospective students
** Project ideas list
** Development starter docs
* Other Business
Action Items from last meeting:
== Hackfest LGM Saarbrucken ==
♢ ACTION: Arrange vote for funds for stickers for the two 2019 hackfests [bryce]
=== Merchandise Sales ===
♢ ACTION: Email Bryce with evaluation/details about hellotux.com merchandise service, for preparing board vote [crogers]
♢ ACTION: Board vote on hellotux.com [bryce]
=== Bug Tracker Transition ===
♢ ACTION: Write up an orientation web page for new bug triagers, for gitlab migration [Mc]
== Inkscape 1.0 alpha release ==
♢ ACTION: Check in with people doing test case conversion [Tav]
♢ ACTION: ping jimmac/barbara about the symbolic icons for adding the theme to Inkscape [scislac]
♢ ACTION: Plan video for Inkscape 1.0 release [crogers]
=== Inkscape 1.0 Release ===
♢ ACTION: Brainstorm plans for 1.0beta / 1.0 commemorative merch [crogers, tedg]
=== Sponsorship Management ===
♢ ACTION: Find out about the new event insurance from #conservancy [tedg]
♢ ACTION: Generate summary of our financial situation [bryce]
Transcripts of previous meetings: