Re: [Inkscape-board] final steps re: Inkscape TM policy, logo copyrights (was Inkscape Committee: additional votes needed)
by Bryce Harrington
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 03:15:16PM -0400, Tony Sebro wrote:
> On 05/28/2013 02:10 PM, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> >Hi Tony, I posted an email the other day with the vote tally, but
> >maybe it was to the wrong alias. Anyway, I voted yea as well, and
> >so we have a majority in favor, and the issue can now be closed.
> >Thanks, Bryce
> Yes; I hadn't seen your email at the time I replied to the thread.
> Bradley has since brought me up to speed. Thanks!
> As a next step, the adopted policy should be posted as a new page on
> the Inkscape.org website. I'd also recommend creating another Q & A
> under Section 8 ("Legal") of the Wiki FAQ that points visitors to
> the trademark policy page. Once the policy page is live, I can
> engage the company that was using the Inkscape trademark.
Josh, can you forward these new requirements to the website guys to
> Now, we still have an open issue re: the ownership of the copyrights
> in the mountain graphic logo. Given that we've been struggling to
> compile a complete list of copyright owners in the mark, I recommend
> that we do the following:
> 1. Publish the TM policy on the website in the manner described above.
> 2. Send a notice of the new TM policy to various Inkscape community
> user groups and fora (e.g., inkscape-user, inkscape-announce,
> Inkscapeforum.com, etc.). In the notice, declare our intent to
> license the copyrights to the logo under CC-By-SA 3.0 US, and give
> any copyright holders 60 days to step forward and object.
> The TM policy (including the section re: logo usage) will be in
> effect during that 60-day period, but we'd always reserve the right
> to discuss changing the copyright license if a copyright holder were
> to step forward and object.
> I can provide draft language for the notice. Let me know what else
> I can do to help the committee finalize the process.
This all sounds fine with me. Ted, IIRC you were the one that got the
ball rolling initially on this; can you review and close the loops on
any follow up tasks to notify the community and so on?
> Tony Sebro, General Counsel, Software Freedom Conservancy
> +1-212-461-3245 x11
9 years, 3 months