Shall Inkscape participate in the Outreachy internship program, and
allow the earmarking of donations for funding one or more Outreachy
- [ ] a. Yes, participate in Outreachy and allow collection of
donations to fund one or more internship slots.
- [ ] b. No, do not participate in Outreachy at this time.
- [ ] c. Other ___________________
| Board Member | 1. |
| -------------------- |:--:|
| Bryce Harrington | a. |
| Josh Andler | a. |
| Tavmjong Bah | a. |
| Ted Gould | |
| Martin Owens | a. |
| Marc Jeanmougin | a. |
| Chris Rogers | a. |
Inkscape will begin earmarking of donations for the Outreachy internship
program, with the goal of participating in one or more Outreachy slots.
Note that at this time it is assumed the cost of the Outreachy
participation will be covered entirely by the earmarked donations.
At the Boston hackfest Máirín Duffy suggested Inkscape participate in
the Outreachy internship program, and offered to help with organizing
and fundraising for it. We discussed it in detail at the board
meetings, but I don't think we formally voted on it. Conservancy
requires a formal vote for moving forward with collection of donations
One way Outreachy appears to differ from the GSoC program is that
funding must be arranged by the mentoring organization. Máirín believes
that adequate external funding can be secured for Inkscape, to cover at
least one student. With the Inkscape Committee's approval, Conservancy
will create a Donate button to receive and earmark funds to be used for
the Outreachy slot.
At this time it is assumed the cost of the Outreachy participation will
be covered entirely by the earmarked donations. If it becomes
desireable in the future for Inkscape to cover portions of the
internship cost, a separate vote will be done.
On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 08:52:08PM +0000, Bradley M. Kuhn via RT wrote:
> Oh, I forgot to add in my last email, Máirín asked for us to set up an "account". To be clear, we are *not* setting up an "account" for this -- that's a term of art in accounting and it defintiely is not how we handle the situation when an existing Conservancy member project wants to fund an Outreachy internship.
> What we can set up is a donate button, which is what I've changed this ticket into an action item for.
> Since both Inkscape and Outreachy are Conservancy member projects, I believe it's ok to say publicly that the funds are meant for that, but please don't do that until I'm in possession of a a vote in the approvals queue where Inkscape Committee has voted to fund an Outreachy slot. Bryce, please take that as an action item and email to approvals creating a separate ticket.
> But, to be clear, the money will be officially earmarked for Inkscape, in their regular "Income:Donations" account, and the thing that will bind it to go to the Outreachy slot will be the vote by the Inkscape PLC to spend money on a slot.
> If you have further questions about what's appropriate to say during fundraising campaign,or other related issues to this, probably best to discuss in detail with Karen outside of any specific RT ticket.
Our monthly board meeting is scheduled for Friday, Dec 7th,
at 10am Pacific in #inkscape-devel. All members are welcome.
* Future meetings/hackfests.
** [http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/17x/ SCALE] - March 7th-10th,
2019 (Pasadena, California)
** [http://libregraphicsmeeting.org/2019/ LGM 2019] - May 30th-June 3rd
(Saarbrucken, Germany) Proposed. (About two hours by train from
* Merchandise sales
** Evaluate self-serve merchandise sales - spreadshirt, cafepress,
Golden Ribbon, Think Penguin or similar [Mc]
* Bug tracker transition plan
* Weblate service deployment
* Sponsorship management
+ Meeting w/ Karen on Conservancy assistance
+ Sponsor acceptance policy
+ Sponsorship procedures & defined contact point
+ Sponsor soliciting / outreach
* Action Items
* Other Business
Action Items from last meeting:
=== SCALE ===
♢ ACTION: Check into pre/post SCALE meeting options & AirBNB [tedg, scislac]
♢ ACTION: Propose some options and concrete plans for hackfest at SCALE [tedg]
♢ ACTION: Email board about status on SCALE venues by Nov 9th [tedg]
♢ ACTION: Lock in commitment for SCALE hackfest venue by Nov 16th, else plan to reschedule hackfest [tedg]
♢ ACTION: Set up hackfest fundraiser web page for SCALE hackfest
♢ ACTION: Put together list of people to invite to 2019 SCALE hackfest [tedg]
♢ ACTION: Identify/recruit Inkscape presenters for SCALE [ryangorley]
=== Merchandise Sales ===
♢ ACTION: Coordinate announcement of spreadshirt with hackfest [crogers, vectors team]
♢ ACTION: Check with Conservancy on status of sticker production [doctormon]
♢ ACTION: Email Bryce with evaluation/details about hellotux.com merchandise service, for preparing board vote [crogers]
♢ ACTION: Board vote on hellotux.com [bryce]
♢ ACTION: Follow up with Cr on status of Spreadsheet rollout [bryce]
=== 0.92.4 Release ===
♢ ACTION: Kickoff 0.92.4 release [bryce]
♢ ACTION: Remember to put correct version string in AC_ for 0.92.4 [bryce]
♢ ACTION: Start 0.92.4 release once Inkscape 1.0-alpha is released [bryce]
♢ ACTION: Plan PR for 0.92.4 (with mention of availability of alpha) [vectors team, ryangorley]
== Inkscape 1.0 alpha release ==
♢ ACTION: Start Inkscape 1.0-alpha release once 2geom is released [bryce]
♢ ACTION: Check in with people doing test case conversion [Tav]
♢ ACTION: ping jimmac/barbara about the symbolic icons for adding the theme to Inkscape [scislac]
♢ ACTION: Plan video for Inkscape 1.0 release [crogers]
=== Bug Tracking ===
♦ ACTION: Recruit folks to help plan gitlab bugs transition [bryce]
♢ ACTION: Write up an orientation web page for new bug triagers, for gitlab migration [Mc]
♢ ACTION: Announce move to gitlab for new Inkscape & 2geom bug reports, once inkscape 1.0-alpha is released [bryce]
=== Trademarks ===
♦ ACTION: Ask SFC opinion for widening our trademark registrations beyond US [bryce]
=== 1.0 Release ===
♢ ACTION: Brainstorm plans for 1.0beta / 1.0 commemorative merch [crogers, tedg]
Transcripts of previous meetings: