Dear Leadership Committee,
You attention is required to vote on funding for the Inkscape 1.2
release video for 2022. As previously mentioned in our budget meeting,
we have in our project a well respected video creator who makes videos
for Gnome, the SFC and has made two previous Inkscape release videos
and who needs funding for their work in the coming year.
We as a project benefit from having a good looking and timely release
video and this funding will enable our contributor, Chris Rogers, to
spend the needed time without overwork.
Videos for reference:
GUADEC Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9e0cyrryRY
Conflict of Interest:
* Chris Rogers is a member of this committee and will not be able to
vote on this measure as a matter of conflict of interest.
1. Spend $2,500 on a release video for Inkscape 1.2
2. Do not spend any money on a release video
3. Something else...
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Thank you to everyone who came to the budget meeting yesterday. It was
quite a busy and intense discussion, even for this high level overview
meeting. Big thanks to pono from the SFC for assisting and giving us
some solid information.
Attendees: Tav, Marc, Chris, Josh, Martin, René, Jabier, Ishaan, Pono
Meeting Chair: Martin
The video meeting is recorded here:
1 hour 12 minutes
We've set a budget of between $80k and $175k for 2022. We expect to
spend at least $80k and the feeling was that it's time for us to stop
growing our hoard of money and start spending it.
The project has many needs, which we currently ask volunteers to do.
But many of these tasks are things we need and shouldn't depend on
waiting for volunteers, so the basic principle was put forward that "if
the project is asking for the work to be done, then the project should
be paying for it." This was used a guideline to find items we should be
Attached you will find the earmarks that we created for each section of
the budget. There are some notes:
1. The release manager stipend isn't currently needed, Marc's employer
is kindly covering this expense and it's noted here in case we need to
have this item in consideration for future budgets.
2. We have one Outreachy internship unused from last cycle, this
coming year we will likely only need at most one more. This earmark
should cover that.
3. We lack a documentation lead, or any contributor able to step up
and look after documentation. If there's anyone you can remember from
the past who'd be interested in getting involved, we've earmarked a
small budget to help with costs for that area should we need it.
Each of the items require another meeting to discuss their details
further. This is especially true of the two big ticket items for the
admin and the developer budget. Please do come to these meetings, which
will be help via video again and recorded for transparency. Dates are
Again, a big thank you to everyone. Taking our budgeting
responsibilities seriously has been a high priority for us in the
leadership committee and it's great to finally feel like we are
starting to see the wheels move.
Best Regards, Martin Owens
So I think we should really have a budget, even if we don't follow it 100%, just a good practice and idea. We basically stopped doing it in 2018. My idea is to put something very high level and simple together, nothing exciting mostly just our regular stuff (for instance we can still vote for one-off things here an there, etc.). But I do want us to feel like we have a plan and instead of financial reports just being numbers be related to something.
My goal is to have something we can vote on by the end of the calendar year.
If you've got ideas, please reply to this thread or ping me on chat sometime.
I am late getting out this notice and folks in the chat mentioned it'd be easier for everyone if we shifted the normal meeting back a week. So we're planning on having it Nov 12, 2021 and high noon Texas time. I think this gets is out of the confusing week where everyone is on different daylight savings time as well.
Timezone tool: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20211112T10&p1=202
Wiki page: https://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/Leadership_Committee_Status_Updates
I'll note that we have a few votes outstanding and if all board members could look and make sure you voted that would be helpful. I hope to do an audit on those tonight or tomorrow and it's a lot easier if all the votes are in! Otherwise you'll be shamed at the meeting 😉
René de Hesselle (RdH) has been preparing our OSX builds for a while, to do that he needs to be able to sign them with an Apple Developer Account. We have reimbursed him last year for this account so that he could continue to sign builds for Inkscape. This is to renew that account so he can continue to sign OSX builds.
Reimburse RdH for the membership renewal expenses for Apple's developer program. This is estimated to cost 99€.
a. Reimburse RdH for the program
b. No, cease participation in Apple's Developer Program
c. Other: ________
I would like to raise the topic of getting hardware into developer's hands. I'm really not sure the best way to do this (or if we should). My motivation is the frustration I'm having with not knowing if I am breaking the our MacOSX code with the refactoring I am doing... and when I do get reports of breakage, not being able to fix it (it's currently broken now!). A little research shows that a 2018 Mac Mini can be had for around $1000. Given our current financial state, that would see like a reasonable investment. I could imagine though, coming up with a policy of what kind of support is given to who could be quite a challenge.