2023 GSoC mentor stipends.
Every year, we participate in GSoC, sometimes Outreachy, with a few community members mentoring new contributors. This mentoring task takes time and efforts, and offering support for potential mentors may help them dedicate more time to it, and may help in the long run to have a more diverse pool of mentors. In addition, the project gets a “project stipend” from Google of 500$, this proposal keeps 20% for the project general funds (matching what we did in 2022).
[ ] a. Offer people who mentor students the possibility to ask for a stipend of up to 400$ for the 2023 mentoring season
[ ] b. Do not do it
[ ] c. Other (please specify)
Hey folks! As we wrap up the Bug Migration Game, we'd like to reward our
bug movers and people involved with making/running/promoting the game with
a bug mug.
I'd like approval for (up to) £200 in funds for sending these out to
people, though it may wind up being less depending on what deals I can get.
This includes cost of ordering them and shipping them out to people.
I've attached a mockup of the bug mugs, in case you haven't seen them yet:
The vote is for up to £200 in mug and shipping costs.
Vote is for 1 week, as is tradition, but would appreciate votes before that
to help move things along.
Yay: Fund bug mugs for volunteers
Nay: Do not fund bug mugs for volunteers
Attending: Marc, Martin, NPJ, Nicco, Johnathan, René, pbs, Mikekov
The next developer meeting is 2nd March 2023:
How the bug accelerator program is going (Martin)
Bug list for 1.3 is being used
https://gitlab.com/groups/inkscape/-/milestones/11 developer should add
the milestone 1.3 if they want issues to be in the mix. The advantage
is that this list provides a sorted and updated list and so the blocker
issue has been closed and instead people should mark issues as blocker
using the tag.
Lots of bugs fixed and lots of merge requests are now open waiting for
review. When Rafael becomes available merge requests will have a
reviewer to move code faster.
On the effectiveness side; Martin says other paid contracts have been
re-scheduled so time is available to work on Inkscape issues, so it's
functioning as intended to create time for inkscape at this early
stage. Though this is a self-reported data point.
A new blog is available to contributors. This will be used to report on
work done in the bug accelerator program, but can be used by other
contributors if they want to talk about their work and have it
available on the inkscape website. Please contact the web admin for
The recent Cairo rendering failure is related to Marc's dithering
patch. It was suspected that it was just related to using an updated
version of cairo, but the patch itself is implicated and Marc things
it's becuse of the way the dithering code throws an error which pbs
says will cause the whole rendering stack to then reject any other
A Pango problem that has appeared is an upstream issue with the
fontconfig backend. To fix this the version is restricted to 1.50.11
for all builds and the windows build is pinned to 1.50.11 for now. The
issue has been reported to upstream although they say they can't
guarentee a fix.
A version suffix was added to inkscape's library file (*.so, *.dll etc)
this allows the library file to be placed in predictable places and
should make it easier to create C++ extensions which can link against
the Inkscape library of a specific version despite not having a stable
API. Getting these library files into the right system directories to
make them useful is a possible task, as well as providing header files
or a -dev type package to allow developers to work without building the
entire of inkscape first.
- This causes a problem for macOS builds that didn't expect the
version to be there. but René is working on a packaging fix.
Mikekov is working on a few features and improvements, mostly UI
related fixes. A new milestone has been created by Marc so anything
that we don't expect to make it into 1.3 can be tagged for the next
release and not merged by accident before the branching date.
Marc asks if the font collections feature is ready? It needs to be
rebuilt, but looks to have problems and may need to be posponed. The
original developer may also not be available.
What kind of plan should we have for Gtk4 migration? After the 1.3
branch (or release) we will allow much more riskier code merges that
progress us towards Gtk4 support. So master is expected to break more
often, but we want to make sure Inkscape compiles so any changes will
still be expected to compile even if they cause large bugs. Having this
high risk development policy after the release is most ideal and sets
expectations in the whole developer team about what we need to be
Jonathon is creating a paid contract to hiring people to work on the
Gtk4 transition, please join him on rocket chat to look at the proposal
draft and see what kind of paid work we need to ask for in order to
push hard on getting Gtk4 transition done with the smallest amount of
disruption it's possible to have in our development cycle.
We were concerned that Nicco had not recieved the contract for the AI
importer work. But Nicco was available at the meeting and has recieved
the contract. Next is signing it and sending back to the SFC, and
Johnathan is organising a date to do onboarding with Martin.
The Hackfest is coming up very shortly. There's ongoing discussions
with the SFC and René regarding paying for the venue costs upfront so
the particpants won't have to pay the large fees that will be due at
the end. We are told Karren was unavailable so there may be some delays
reviewing the venue contract and sorting out the payment. Though we do
want to make sure this happens because we don't have a lot of time now.
We are accepted into the GSoC program, number of applicants isn't set
yet. You may advertise about our particpation in GSoc 2023, and please
make sure to update the list of projects on the wiki
We looked at three of the oldest merge requests as part of our regular
end of meeting activity: One was assigned to Adam (sorry adam!), two
were closed as out of date.
Thanks for coming everyone!
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Hey everyone! We need moar stickers!
These are both for the hackfest stickers, and for the stickers for SFC and
Inkscape reps attending conferences to hand out.
We'd also like another set of business cards with the hotkeys on the back.
The SFC will be paying for these directly and shipping them out to Rene to
distribute at the hackfest, so we need votes asap!
500 Cards: £44.47
2000 Inkscape Stickers: £133.40
1000 Hackfest Stickers: £30.00
Additional shipping may be required to send out hackfest stickers, so
approval for up to £100.00 extra to reimburse for shipping stuff out to
Total incl shipping (up to) £337.87
A. Fund stickers and cards
B. Do not fund stickers and cards
Inkscape currently has a Mastodon account on the mastodon.art server. It is an art focused Mastodon instance that has a wide variety of artists, but also allows anyone on the greater Fediverse to see the content Inkscape posts. The service is run by a set of volunteers that have a Patreon-style set-up to cover their costs of hosting, and other things that the project needs. This is their only source of funding (they don't sell ads, etc). Many users contribute to that as the "cost" of having an account on the service. Inkscape has not previously contributed to this service.
There is unfortunately very little precedent on how much a social network account should cost. Most major networks are venture or ad supported and give out the accounts for zero-cost. Though it seems likely in the future Twitter will be charging $8/mo if you want your posts to be seen. No one is distinguishing between user or project account, though it is likely their costs are different based on volume.
The mastodon.art service has a few ways to contribute, I'll work with them to figure out which is best to ensure they can use the funds at the lowest fee and is easy for the SFC to work with. All amounts are monthly for the 2023 calendar year. Marking each of the votes with "or less" and I'll take the highest amount that gets a simple majority. Please use the "Other" option if that's not how you'd like it to work.
Vote to fund Mastondon.art for the following amount monthly for the 2023 calendar year
a. $5/mo for a total of $60 for 2023
b. $10/mo for a total of $120 for 2023, or less
c. $20/mo for a total of $240 for 2023, or less
d. $__/mo for a total of $___ for 2023, or less
f. Other: ____
RdH has requested reimbursement for the project to pay for his new Mac
Mini, which is necessary for him to develop Inkscape's Arm chip releases.
This is crucial to MacOS development on their desktops and laptops now and
into the future.
1. Reimburse RdH the entire amount: 2,584 €
2. Something else.
The Hackfest 2023 in Bensberg was planned for 10 participants. While it looked like we couldn’t
fill those 10 slots for most of the time, we suddenly have the opportunity to expand to an
11th participant. The attendees would then be comprised of 9 long standing contributors and
2 promising newcomers.
It goes without saying that this addition has been carefully considered in the best interests
of the project (this is not a vacation).
This would increase the total event cost (excl. travel) from 9,770 € to 10,607 €.
You have previously voted on a budget up to 10,000 € which we would now exceed.
If the numbers above only look vaguely familiar, take a look at the updated calculation on
the bottom of this page: https://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/Hackfest2023_Bensberg
It is now precise and does not contain an ominous „buffer“.
Full disclosure: even in the event that you approve an 11th participant there is the
possibility that our hosts cannot make it happen. (But at least we tried.)
Increase the Hackfest budget (excl. travel) to 10,607 € to cover for an 11th participant:
- a. Yes
- b. No
Apologies for the inconvenience of not giving you one full week for this vote.
If you cannot manage to close the vote until the deadline, the vote will automatically
fail and default to "No" as in accordance to standing decisions regarding the Hackfest.